House of the living, house of the dead: an open and shut case from Ballyglass, Co. Mayo?

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Smyth2020_Ballyglass_AAM.docx1.17 MBUnknownDownload
Title: House of the living, house of the dead: an open and shut case from Ballyglass, Co. Mayo?
Authors: Smyth, Jessica
Permanent link: http://hdl.handle.net/10197/11460
Date: 2020
Online since: 2020-08-07T15:16:32Z
Abstract: The Early Neolithic court tomb at Ballyglass is the larger of two such monuments (Ma. 13 and Ma. 14 in the national inventory of megalithic monuments) in Ballyglass townland and one of a group of 30 court tombs forming a dense concentration on the carboniferous sandstones around Bunatrahir Bay in north Mayo. The tomb is situated on level ground at the western edge of a narrow area of lowlands between the sea and higher peat-covered ridges to the southwest, with the Ballinglen and Bellananaminnaun rivers lying 500 m to the east and west, respectively (Figure 1). Ballyglass Ma. 13 seems to have been first noted in the early 19th century by cartographer William Bald. In a letter postmarked 'Castlebar 1825' to a Miss Clendening in Dublin, Bald provided a simple sketch of the monument, describing it as "a druidical place of worship having two cromlechs" (Hayes 1965, 110). The dual gallery and central court features of Ballyglass Ma. 13 were subsequently confirmed in the modern megalithic surveys of the mid-20th century onwards (de Valera 1951; 1960, 94 and Plate VI: de Valera and Ó Nualláin 1964). These surveys recorded a northwest-southeast orientation and a large elliptical central court measuring 11.50 m (north-west to south-east) x 7.25 m (north-east to south-west) with a lateral entrance to the north-east and two segmented galleries running off the court in opposite directions (Figure 2). The sandstone and granite orthostatic structure had survived almost entirely intact, along with a number of corbels and a single sandstone lintel in position above the galleries. Two large sandstone slabs lying at either end of the court were interpreted as displaced gallery capstones.
Funding Details: Irish Research Council
Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences
University College Dublin
Type of material: Book Chapter
Publisher: Oxbow Books
Keywords: Tomb-housesBallyglass houseCourt tombsEarly NeolithicIreland
Other versions: https://www.oxbowbooks.com/dbbc/houses-of-the-dead.html
Language: en
Status of Item: Peer reviewed
Is part of: Barclay, A., Field D., Leary J. (eds.). Houses of the Dead: Neolithic Studies Group Seminar Papers 17
ISBN: 9781789254105
Appears in Collections:Archaeology Research Collection

Show full item record

Page view(s)

151
Last Week
4
Last month
checked on Sep 22, 2020

Download(s)

8
checked on Sep 22, 2020

Google ScholarTM

Check

Altmetric


This item is available under the Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Ireland. No item may be reproduced for commercial purposes. For other possible restrictions on use please refer to the publisher's URL where this is made available, or to notes contained in the item itself. Other terms may apply.