Nursing and Midwifery Workforce Readiness during a Global Pandemic: A Survey of the Experience of one hospital group in the Republic of Ireland

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorRyder, Mary-
dc.contributor.authorGallagher, Paul-
dc.contributor.authorCoughlan, Barbara-
dc.contributor.authorHalligan, Philomena-
dc.contributor.authorGuerin, Suzanne-
dc.contributor.authorConnolly, Michael-
dc.date.accessioned2021-09-10T12:27:26Z-
dc.date.available2021-09-10T12:27:26Z-
dc.date.issued2021-09-02-
dc.identifier.citationJournal of Nursing Managementen_US
dc.identifier.issn0966-0429-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10197/12463-
dc.description.abstractAim: To explore the mobilisation of nurses/midwives in a designated hospital group in Ireland during a global pandemic.Background: The recent global pandemic has resulted in the large-scale worldwide mobilisation of Registered Nurses and Midwives working in the acute care sector. There is a dearth of literature reporting the mobilisation of this professional workforce.Method: Mixed-methods design using an electronic survey and facilitated discussion across one Irish hospital group.Results: Eight of 11 hospitals responded to the survey. There was a 2% vacancy rate prior to the pandemic. Mobilisation included reconfiguration of clinical areas and redeployment of 9% of the nursing/midwifery workforce within two weeks of the pandemic. A total of 11% (n=343) of nurses/midwives were redeployed in three months. Nurses/midwives required re-skilling in infection prevention control, enhancement of critical care skills and documentation.Conclusions: Three key areas were identified to enable the nursing workforce readiness. These are referred to as the three ‘R’s’: Reconfiguration of specific resources; Redeployment of nurses to dedicated specialist areas and Re-skilling of nurses to safely care for the patients during the pandemic.Implications for Nursing Management: A centralised approach to Reconfiguration of clinical areas. Redeployment is enabled by closing non-essential departments. Hands-on re-skilling and reorientating staff are essential.en_US
dc.format.mediumPrint-Electronic-
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.publisherWileyen_US
dc.subjectEducationen_US
dc.subjectLeadershipen_US
dc.subjectManagementen_US
dc.subjectMobilisationen_US
dc.subjectNursingen_US
dc.subjectSurveyen_US
dc.subjectCOVID-19en_US
dc.subjectCoronavirusen_US
dc.titleNursing and Midwifery Workforce Readiness during a Global Pandemic: A Survey of the Experience of one hospital group in the Republic of Irelanden_US
dc.typeJournal Articleen_US
dc.internal.authorcontactotherphil.halligan@ucd.ieen_US
dc.statusPeer revieweden_US
dc.check.date2022-03-10-
dc.identifier.doi10.1111/jonm.13461-
dc.neeo.contributorRyder|Mary|aut|-
dc.neeo.contributorGallagher|Paul|aut|-
dc.neeo.contributorCoughlan|Barbara|aut|-
dc.neeo.contributorHalligan|Philomena|aut|-
dc.neeo.contributorGuerin|Suzanne|aut|-
dc.neeo.contributorConnolly|Michael|aut|-
dc.date.embargo2022-09-02en_US
dc.date.updated2021-09-10T08:48:17Z-
dc.rights.licensehttps://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ie/en_US
item.fulltextWith Fulltext-
item.grantfulltextembargo_20220902-
Appears in Collections:Nursing, Midwifery & Health Systems Research Collection
Psychology Research Collection
Files in This Item:
Access to this item has been restricted by the copyright holder until:2022-09-02
 File SizeFormat
    Request a copyjonm.13461-1.pdf1.21 MBAdobe PDF
Show simple item record

Page view(s)

670
Last Week
9
Last month
checked on Oct 26, 2021

Download(s)

209
checked on Oct 26, 2021

Google ScholarTM

Check

Altmetric


If you are a publisher or author and have copyright concerns for any item, please email research.repository@ucd.ie and the item will be withdrawn immediately. The author or person responsible for depositing the article will be contacted within one business day.