Technological transformations at Boatstrand Harbour
Files in This Item:
|Technological_transformations_at_Boatstrand_Harbour.pdf||32.59 MB||Adobe PDF||Download|
|Title:||Technological transformations at Boatstrand Harbour||Authors:||Shotton, Elizabeth||Permanent link:||http://hdl.handle.net/10197/8121||Date:||10-Dec-2016||Abstract:||The late nineteenth century was a revolutionary period for harbour construction in Ireland, principally due to the efforts of one man, Bindon Blood Stoney [1828-1909] the Chief Engineer to Dublin Port [1862-98]. Although portland cement, the primary ingredient of concrete, had been developed as early as 1820 it was not until Stoney’s audacious use of large scale precast concrete blocks to build the North Wall extension and Alexandra Basin [1871-84]1 at Dublin Port that the material gained sufficient credibility to engineers to wholly supplant the use of stone in maritime engineering works.||Type of material:||Conference Publication||Keywords:||Harbour;LiDAR;Concrete||DOI:||10.13140/RG.2.2.35882.62408||Language:||en||Status of Item:||Peer reviewed||Conference Details:||Virtual Heritage Network: Ireland 2016, 8-10 December 2016, CACSSS, School of English, Digital Humanities Lab, University College Cork|
|Appears in Collections:||Architecture, Planning and Environmental Policy Research Collection|
Show full item record
This item is available under the Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Ireland. No item may be reproduced for commercial purposes. For other possible restrictions on use please refer to the publisher's URL where this is made available, or to notes contained in the item itself. Other terms may apply.