1 - 5 of 19
- PublicationPromoting Reflective Writing among Psychiatry Students(2011-07-01)This paper reports on a study on the use of online learning to teach reflective writing to psychiatry students. The students learnt about reflection and reflective writing using an interactive learning unit and a discussion forum. They posted responses to an article at three levels of reflection. Their learning was assessed using a reflective essay. The majority of students engaged with the discussion forum though some had difficulty in distinguishing the levels of reflection. The students rarely commented on each other’s posts. Modifications will be made for future use based on ongoing research.
- PublicationA Practitioner’s Guide to Enquiry and Problem-based Learning: Case Studies from University College Dublin(UCD Teaching and Learning, 2010-06-14)This guide is part of the Enquiry and Problem-based Learning Project funded by the Strategic Innovation Fund of the Higher Education Authority Ireland. Dr Geraldine O’Neill and Dr Terry Barrett from UCD Teaching and Learning were joint coordinators of the project. Project partners were: Probell (The Finnish PBL Network) and the Centre for Excellence in Enquiry-based learning in the University of Manchester. We are very grateful for their contributions to the quality of the project outcomes. This guide contains some case studies from participants of the project and two case studies which were implemented before the project commenced.. We appreciate the contributions from authors of the case studies. These will be inspiring and useful to other enquiry and problem-based learning practitioners. We also thank Áine Galvin for proofreading the text.
- PublicationCombining Poetry and Mindfulness : Stories of Creating New Spaces in Higher Education(Inspired by Learning, 2019-06-24)For a long time, poetry and meditation have been close to my heart. Separately and together they have helped me savor the beauty of nature, the warmth of friends and family and my inner strength and courage. They give space and self-compassion for feelings of anger and sorrow that have lead sometimes to a sense of common humanity and compassion for others. Poetry and mindfulness give me a deeper, more heartfelt perspective of what is happening on my hero’s journey.
- PublicationMindful Heroes Stories: An Introduction(Inspired by Learning., 2019-06-24)Everyone loves stories. This book tells the stories of a constellation of mindful heroes. This book is about mindful heroes: ordinary people, like you and me, who followed the path of mindfulness and went on a hero’s journey. These mindful heroes developed their own personal mindfulness practice together with studying mindfulness. They benefited from their growth in mindful awareness, compassion for self and others and insight. Then they wanted to share this and provide others with the opportunity to develop their potential in their own ways. On their journeys they changed their own and sometimes others’ lives. They share their stories of their personal and professional journeys with you.
- PublicationMindful Heroes: A Resource Book for Engaging Pedagogy(2019-12-13)This practice paper explores how the new book Mindful Heroes: Stories of Journeys that Changed Lives can be used to develop more personally engaging pedagogies. The authentic expressions of mindfulness presented by authors of the chapters from 10 different countries in this book, are about how they creatively applied mindfulness together with other approaches to a variety of settings across Education, Health, Business, Sport, Creative Arts and Community Work. As this book covers six broad disciplinary categories it can be used by educators in these discipline to develop a more personally engaging pedagogy for their students, where they make new personal connections between themselves and the subjects they are studying. In each chapter there are invitations for you the educator to invite your students to Pause and engage personally with the ideas and stories of the chapter with specific exercises. At the end of each chapter there is a Further Resources section which provides you with links to various resources to explore the topic further.